Most of Long Island's public golf courses remain open for play in the winter. Before loading the trunk and venturing to the closest tee at the first sight of sunshine, however, be sure to call ahead and find out if your course is operating on schedule. Milder weather and increasingly blue skies have done little to get some area courses into playing shape. Contact the pro shop after wet weather, especially if you are interested in riding.
The following are some of the offseason 18-hole rates at area courses, which in many cases have already been in place since the fall. For full details about rates and course conditions, contact the course pro shops or visit their websites. Note that these do not represent discounted rates at all courses:
- Great Rock: $49 to ride during the week before 2 p.m., $39 after 2 p.m.; $69 to ride on weekends before 11 a.m., $49 after 11 a.m.
- Links at Shirley: $39 to walk, $50 to ride on weekdays; $60 on weekends (carts mandatory before 1 p.m.). Twilight rate with cart $40 on weekdays, $45 on weekends. (Update: Course is closed for the season)
- Pine Hills: $35 to walk/$45 to ride before noon during the week, $25/$35 after noon; $45/$55 on weekends before 12:30 p.m., $35/$45 after 12:30.
- Pine Ridge: $35 to walk/$45 to ride during the week, $50 to ride on weekends; $30 to ride after noon during the week, $35 on weekends.
- Swan Lake: Weekday rate is $39 to walk and $49 to ride; $44/$58 on weekends. All rates include breakfast or lunch.
For additional winter rates, check out Winter Rates Roundup I.
Check back over the next few weeks for offseason rates at other Long Island courses.